« Home | Anger: SOB Islamofacists » | Pride: FFV » | Lust: Political Open Season » | Gluttony: Cooking for Engineers » | Sloth: TiVo » | Anger: Dean's new word » | Sloth: Names » | Anger: X-Play » | Anger: ABC (This Week) » | Anger: SCOTUS » 

Friday, July 08, 2005 

Pride: Game Job vs. Prison

You know... It has been a month since I left the game industry and I am feeling pretty free. Sort of like being let out of a Turkish Prison with the bright light hurting my eyes. I am glad to be out, but have not completely adjusted to "life on the outside". It is getting close to the time that I expected to get nostalgic for the game industry and the thrill of the chase. It hasn’t happened yet, but I am expecting it. Before this nostalgia sets in, I want to chronicle my thoughts on "was this a good move for me". I haven't gained enough perspective to have a definitive answer (as if I ever will), but I want to share my thought process with all ya'alls. If it helps anyone out there avoid the pain and heartache of the industry, it's all worth it.

With a nod to Nick Bakay, I now present "Tale of the tape: Game Job vs. Prison".

Category
Game Job
Prison
Advantage
Housing
Only guarantee is a cot in the office cube next to “Crazy Jeff”.A solid roof over your head, but must bunk with “Rocko”.
Push
Meals
Sometimes Pizza, Sometimes Chinese, sometimes you can’t eat due to lack of time or lack of money.3 Squares of uninspiring food served on metal trays and surrounded by thugs.
Prison
Pay
Variable, anywhere from a living wage to a promise of back pay and equity for working 14 hours in the office.A Dollar a day for working 6 hours in the laundry.
Prison
Future
Released when the game is done.Released when your time is served.
Push
Overheard
"I can’t believe he called another crunch, I’m gonna sneak out tonight to see my family"."I gotta get some. Some of us are gonna break out tonight, you in?"
Push
Alcohol
Needed to get through the day, might not be able to afford it.Strictly forbidden, but see the guard for alternatives.
Push
Sex
Are you kidding?Not going there!
Game Job
Hygiene
RareEnforced
In a shocker: Game Job!
Ethics
Nonexistent"The Code"
Prison
Penalty for screwing up
Out of the industry faster.Must stay in longer.
Game Job
Advice
You should be happy we let you make games.Don’t drop the soap.
Push
Sad farewells
When the company folds.When "someone special" is released.
Push
Favorite Pastimes
Huh?Liftin' weights, talkin’ smack.
Prison
Sunlight
None, any windows in the office are papered over or painted black.Recreation time every day.
Prison
Free Time
Riiiiight...At least 12 hours a day.
Push
Challenges
Ice Cream speed eating contest.Shiv Fight!
Game Job
Likely to see on any given day
Recently discharged psychotic halfway house parolees.About to be discharged psychotic halfway house parolees.
Push
"Whatcha in for?"
A deep need to share my creative vision with the world.[gag!]Rape/Murder
Game Job
Best Name
Running with ScissorsTie: Sing Sing/Gitmo
Push

It’s a Push! The Game Industry had more game than I expected.

So there you have it, it's so simple when you break things down scientifically. Until next time, I'm The Sinner reminding you: The numbers never lie.

| | Trackback URI

Blog Info

Praise for The 7 Deadly Sins


"I have to admit that you do sloth like nobody's business."
- tee bee
"omg...you're even nerdier than my bf. That's hawt."
- trouble
"Not everybody remembers the glow of green text on black monitor with fondness"
- cathyf
"That's just crazy talk"
- tee bee
"Holy crap! Where's the ACLU pukes this time?"
- justanothermngirl
"Quick, edit these before anyone sees them!"
- Chris
"See? Getting old isn't all bad."
- David
"THIS IS GOOD, SPREAD THE WORD."
- RICHARD
"Best wishes to my Blog Brother."
- Retired Geezer
"Congratulations to one sinner from another."
- basil
"I just sic them on punks like that like a couple of pitbulls."
- digitalbrownshirt
"I hate to say anything negative about someone I've never met (OK, that's a lie), but that guy is a $#@*& idiot."
- John from WuzzaDem

Video Game Voters Network

My Blogfather

Feed The Sins



Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Open Trackback Alliance

Open Trackback Alliance


101st Fighting
Keyboarders



Powered by Blogger and Blogger Templates
Listed on BlogShares



Top100 Bloggers
Top 100