« Home | Anger: Blogger » | Pride: You know... » | Pride: Interesting discussion » | Anger: Are you a Dumbass? » | Gluttony: Ummmmmmm » | Sloth: Get it through your head » | Sloth: Coffee » | Anger: Chewy Roars, Loses Fan » | Anger: Attention Michigan Taxpayers » | Anger: Dittos » 

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 

Sloth: Kid's TV

With a 4 year old in the house and having to stay home a few days recently, I have become somewhat of an expert on kids TV shows. In my opinion, this is the most disturbing of the lot. For those of you not familiar, meet (and fear) “The Doodlebops” (God, I hate them):


Try to imagine “The Monkees” plus “The Banana Splits” all in an acid trip of paisley. I’m not really sure why I find this show so frightening, maybe it’s the colorful characters designed to appeal to kids and sell merchandise. Maybe it’s the bubblegum pop music that seems just a bit too old for my daughter, yet the rest of the schtick is too young for the music’s audience.

It could be that the blue dude (Rooney) is so freakin’ gay that I imagine it insults gay people, not to mention making my skin crawl (Seinfeld:"not that there's anything wrong with that").

My best guess is that of the dozen or so shows I have seen with my daughter, I have yet to see one that is different in anything but the songs they play. Let me walk you through the show. DeeDee and Rooney pop into the set and introduce themselves clearly expecting the third (Moe) to be right behind them. What follows is what I call the “where’s Moe collage”, a rapid cut series of kids and other characters asking “Where’s Moe?” while Moe shows himself to the camera. Eventually DeeDee asks the camera and finds him.

Following "where's Moe" is “The Doodlebop Pledge” oh God the horror! I can’t even think about it. Let me just say that it involves “kazoos”.. [shutter].. Then some scat-singing buxom babe slides in from a closet (maybe its Rooney’s) to teach some innocuous lesson and send the 3 on their way to “the concert”, but first Moe has to “Pull the Rope”, only after another collage of kids and characters saying “Don’t pull the rope”. He gets drenched and shakes it off and they are off to the bus scene. This bus is a crossing of the Partridge Family bus and Scooby’s Mystery Machine on acid (effin hippies). A dance number ensues on the bus, after which they arrive at “the concert” where they play the same stock concert footage, over and over again.

Pretty good scam, they get 13, half hour shows out of maybe 60 minutes of content.

Let's go over the checklist:

Colorful, marketable characters: .. CHECK!
Multicultural cast: .. CHECK!
Gawdawful music: .. CHECK!
Talking Moose: .. CHECK! (wait, actually kind of cool)
Repetitive Footage: .. CHECK! (makes the The Flintstones look fresh!)
Highly annoying character: .. DOUBLE CHECK!

Needless to say, this is my daughter’s favorite show. Dam you Disney!

| | Trackback URI

Blog Info

Praise for The 7 Deadly Sins


"I have to admit that you do sloth like nobody's business."
- tee bee
"omg...you're even nerdier than my bf. That's hawt."
- trouble
"Not everybody remembers the glow of green text on black monitor with fondness"
- cathyf
"That's just crazy talk"
- tee bee
"Holy crap! Where's the ACLU pukes this time?"
- justanothermngirl
"Quick, edit these before anyone sees them!"
- Chris
"See? Getting old isn't all bad."
- David
"THIS IS GOOD, SPREAD THE WORD."
- RICHARD
"Best wishes to my Blog Brother."
- Retired Geezer
"Congratulations to one sinner from another."
- basil
"I just sic them on punks like that like a couple of pitbulls."
- digitalbrownshirt
"I hate to say anything negative about someone I've never met (OK, that's a lie), but that guy is a $#@*& idiot."
- John from WuzzaDem

Video Game Voters Network

My Blogfather

Feed The Sins



Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Open Trackback Alliance

Open Trackback Alliance


101st Fighting
Keyboarders



Powered by Blogger and Blogger Templates
Listed on BlogShares



Top100 Bloggers
Top 100